Thursday, March 27, 2008

Thing 15

Thing 15 was quite interesting. I opened an account in Second Life. It was very challenging to learn to navigate but flying is fun. :) I visited Info Island and was impressed. It was fun to try but a real time waster. I got lost with all of the options, making your avatar laugh and gesture. It was really intriguing but I didn't learn a lot other than some things aren't necessarily what they seem. There were a lot of friendly people willing to help which I found to be wonderful. I don't know if Second Life would be good to offer in the Library because it is tricky to navigate. Librarians would have to be avid users of the site in order to give assistance to patrons in the use of it. I found some of the content offensive.

I do support the Nintendo Wii. Our society is becoming more and more sedentary and this provides an opportunity to exercise while having fun. I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for children's libraries and I also believe that adults would like it, after they tried it. :)

No comments: